A Family Business
A trip to fashionable St. James Street in London is incomplete without visiting D.R. Harris & Co., one of London’s oldest pharmacies. Established just before 1790 at No. 11 St. James Street, the pharmacy was originally named Harris’s Apothecary, after owner Henry Harris. “D.R.” was tacked on after Harris’ cousin, Daniel Rotely Harris, joined the business.
Henry Harris was a surgeon and Daniel Rotely Harris was an early pharmaceutical chemist, so they combined their skills to craft a luxury range of perfumes, lotions, and remedies befitting both the well-to-do gentry and the court. The pharmacy became well known for its Lavender Water, Classic Cologne, and English Flower perfumes.
In 1938, D.R. Harris & Co. received the Royal Warrant as chemists to the Queen Mother until her death in 2002. Later that same year, the pharmacy was appointed as Chemists to His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales, and in 2012 received the Royal Warrant from Her Majesty the Queen.
Today, in addition to being a fully-functioning pharmacy, D.R. Harris carries a large range of grooming products, including colognes, soaps, shaving creams, and their famous Skin Milk Aftershaves. You can pay D.R. Harris a visit at their historic St. James Street location, now slightly down the block from the original at 29 St. James Street, or check out their second location at 52 Piccadilly.
Want more insight into the world of D.R. Harris? Check out our exclusive interview with the apothecary here.